DETAILS FROM THE ORC





Well that sure was fun.....  Reading all of the wonderfully kind comments about my sisters makeover!  I can tell you that she is thrilled and said that she just wants to stay home all day in her pretty room....ha ha:)

As promised I have some details for you today.  There were a few questions so hopefully I can give you the info you are looking for.

Let's start with some of the reasons for things.

In the beginning I mentioned that the room is very awkward.

The fireplace is NOT centered in the room.  There is that dead space in front of the hearth where it would be great if you could have some seating.  

Taking out the window seat really helped to be able to move the whole room to the right.  All of that being said....even putting a rug in the room presented some problems with it coming to a point in the middle of the hearth!

Crap

Why am I saying all of this....because sometimes you just have to work with what you have.  For extra seating I did choose to have a wing chair recovered and placed over by the bookcases.


Yup this is the before!  I called my trusty slipcover guy [Jim Brown] on Tuesday [who comes on site to do this] and he came on Thursday [after I made a trip to the fabric store Wednesday to get some fabric].  What I picked was a linen/cotton that was backed so she will have to dry-clean it but at a little over $10.00@yard I did not have time to think about it!

I had him just rip off the skirt!

I also had the skirted ottoman slipcovered in a more modern style.  Pillow is old from Pottery Barn.  Throw is from HomeGood's.

Another thing we did was stain the mantel darker...
See how red it is?  It got a coat of Old English...

The same day I drove to get the slipcover fabric I stumbled on this great trim for the curtains...at Fabric and Fringe Warehouse.




The lighting was a last minute decision also.  I had 3 selections but these from Ikea worked the best!
I really did not know what I was going to do with these shelves but while at Ikea I saw these pitchers and they were the perfect color!

I also got the jars there but the black and white bowls came from HomeGood's.

The black and white pillows came from West Elm I think last year....yes I buy random pillows occasionally :)


The art came from Minted [except the far left which my sister whipped up for me].  The small round mirror came from Target about 8 years ago ha ha. Hoarder collector.  
2 tall candlesticks on sofa table:  Target
Blanket on the sofa: Rejuvenation [friends and family sale]
George Kovacs Floor Lamp: Bellacor
Small wood end table: HomeGood's
Roswell Table Lamp: Bassett Mirror Company
2 small brass candlesticks: Crate and Barrel
Wooden tray: Target
Box: HomeGood's [old]




Horn: Pottery Barn
Orange Book:  Flea Market


 End table: On sale at Pottery Barn

All Bamboo shades: Overstock
Light fixture:  Currey and Co. [old]
Tableskirt:  Bedspread from Ikea
Black and White cross pillow:  Bed Bath and Beyond [very old]
Botanicals:  Scott's many years ago [she had in another room]
Large wooden spoon: Scott's [years ago]
Cowhide: Urban Home


Pillow:  Scott's [years ago]
Bench:  Reused from the foyer


Botanical:  Mine [old]
Soap:  HG's
Beaker: Scott's
Beads: Scott's
Tray: HG'S
Hand Towels: Two Girls In Avignon


Box: HG'S
All Botanicals in bookcases: Scott's [taken from another room]
Antler: Target
Vase: Pottery Barn
Old Towel Bar:  Scott's
2 Dish Towels:  World Market


Pillow Fabric:  Ikea!


Awesome wall hanging: Target

Love this "hugger" ceiling fan from Bellacor!

Sofa and Chairs:  Lee Industries
Paint colors:  SW Alabaster White and Urbane Bronze
Floor Paint:  SW Porch Paint

I'll hit the foyer next week!

OK....I think that is everything.  I did spend the bulk of my budget on furniture.  To me that is the most important thing in the room....especially one that is going to be used so much.  Just saying!

Again thanks to all of my sponsors for enabling me to give my sister her new space.  So appreciative.

I am digging into the ORC linking projects this weekend.  I have already seen some great spaces so go take a look!

Have a wonderful weekend my friends:)

Shazam






21 comments

Karena said...

Sherry I am still amazed at the great transformation!! So chic, so crisp and fresh!!
Brava!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Artist Sandra Goroff

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

$10 a yard. I need that and I need Jim to come back early next year. New sofa is coming and I need a chair slipped. Love this room and I don't blame your sister for wanting to just stay in it.

Holly said...

Oh, wow, I really like these rooms. You're a nice sister! :) I just discovered your website through a link with the ORC. Everything is just so beautiful and so inspiring. I want to paint my kitchen cabinets, and my countertops look very, very close to the ones here, and I LOVE the Urban Bronze on the bottom. I hadn't thought of that color before, but I certainly am now. And I'm curious - did you stain the upper cabinets in the kitchen? They look a little different to me, don't know if it's just the lighting in the pictures or my computer monitor. Thank you for the hard work and posting the pictures!

Carrie said...

This whole post is such a great resource! I can't even believe how much different the wing chair looks just with the skirt taken off, and the way the Target candlesticks look so high-end, or how perfectly styled the dish towels look the way you've got them on the towel bar... you killed it! So good!

Unknown said...

Would you please share the source of the slipcover fabric? Pretty please?

Anonymous said...

How do you do this?

Anonymous said...

ADORE that trim! Saw it Wednesday and literally gasped. Lol and the IKEA fabric is perfection. Why can't you be my sister?
Denise

Unknown said...

Ha! Love the signature Sherry ; )

karen said...

As usual...perfecton.

You're still the One. Hey , catchy title for a song , right?
That trim is so fantastic , what an eye you have. The bunny and chef are so lucky to have you.
Kudos Super Star.

M.L. Beck said...

Please please please share slipcover fabric. Would it also be good for curtains??? Thank u!!!!

Hollie @ Stuck on Hue said...

The space looks great, Sherry! I kept looking for that "color" you showed on IG but those blue beads are well hidden in the space. ;)

This post cracked me up on so many levels, especially that you admit to randomly hoarding pillows. It's great that you were able to use so many items that you or your sister have had for years. Your comments about "old, "very old" and "many years ago" made me chuckle.

Love that trim on the curtains. And I wish I knew a talented local slipcover maker who does house calls!

Hope you are getting some well-deserved rest this weekend.

La Dolfina said...

you killed it!!
Bravo

therelishedroost said...

Well fabulous as usual!! But agin I would expect nothing less from your design expertise! xo K

Ellen Martin said...

What a gorgeous space!! The slipcover of the wing chair is perfect.......and 10.00 a yard for fabric is amazing. You are masterful at utilizing the best of Home Goods, Target, Ikea, etc. I would want to sit and enjoy like your sister. Congrats on a great job!!

christy said...

just gorgeous! I absolutely love it all - you are amazing at styling it all up! I go to Target & HG and get totally overwhelmed. You get just the right things - and in record time, no less! And that gorgeous tableskirt - from IKEA!?! NO WAY! thank you for sharing everything, bravo!

michele said...

i am in awe. sherry you hit it outta the park for your sister. what a labor of love. thanks for sharing all these sources. i feel encouraged and energized! peace to you.

Anonymous said...

Love the Lee Industries sofa and chairs! Would you share the item numbers and fabric names? The room is fabulous!

shirley said...

You did it again! Amazing job Sherry!! Everything is perfect!!!

Sarah Sofia Productions said...

Sherry, I am taking notes here because we have a similar fireplace, centered, but steep hearth where I've wanted to add arm chairs on the sides behind the built ins, but can't. I also need a mantle. You're giving me ideas for my next ORC! I love how you painted your sisters coffee table black! I've had that coffee table for years and considered painting it gold. SO cool to see all the details. XOXO, Sarah

Katy said...

I love this room so much that I used it as my "inspiration house" on part of my application for a job with HomePolish. The dark bookshelves are everything and more! I wish I had a sister as talented as you to come over and help with my house!

Anonymous said...

Sherry, I can't thank you enough for the link to the bamboo shades from Overstock.com. They solved a need I had to refresh my own dining room's window treatments and they work like an absolute charm. 3 huge windows for under $100. (the one inch increments were the real money saver). My husband sends along his thanks as well! As a designer I always seem to be mesmerized by the high end choice when a perfectly wonderful and acceptable well-made choice is right there on the web!

Back to Top